My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click image to view my website

Monday, December 3, 2018

Blog Post 5: Research Into Existing Tv Commercials for Take-Away Food Delivery Services

I researched existing adverts for take-away delivery services to understand the conventions used and how I could use these conventions in my own advert that the audiene would expect to see. Anaylysing the videos closely helped me understand exactly how adverts and representations are created, allowing me to takie inspirations for my own advert.
When looking at the adverts, overall, they tended to contain:
-  A home setting
-  Quick and easy delivery
-  Oriental food
-  Intertextuality
-  Diverse people
-  A voice over at the end to sell the app
-  A logo of the app
-  An example of media convergence such as ordering through an app.
-  The use of social media
-  Comedy
When looking at adverts in closer, analytical detail, I found this:

Just Eat, Magic is Real:
- The setting used was a typical street of the UK with many take-away restaurants on it to convey the different types of cuisines Just Eat have to offer
- They represented many people from diffedrent backgrounds, showing a wide range of diversity which broadens the appeal of the service to the target demographic and shows their values as an all inclusive brand.
- The advert was released around the same time as the film La La Land and the style of music and lyrics used in the advert is very jazzy and musical theatre, making the advert current and memorable and appealing not just to fans of La La Land but to everyone.
- The ending of the advert, where the delivery man carries on singing, adds a comedic aspect to the advert, making him seem funny and joyful, coveying Just Eat's values of friendly and approachable  delivery staff they have working for them.
Just Eat, Manband:
- This advert starts with a group of men in a living room, a homely setting and a common convention used to portray the value of conveneince the brand represent.
-  Accurate and clear intertextuality of The Backstreet Boys is shown as they twist the lyrics to their song 'Everybody' in the pastiche-like advert combing elements of a coventional advert and a music video conveying the genre hybridity. Again, used to appeal not just to fans of The Backstreet Boys but to everyone, by creating a memorable and comedic advert.
- Even though all four men are at a gathering, there is no alcohol in the advert which, especially appealing to all audiences, fits well with the ASA code and guidelines.


Just Eat, Balti Rocks:
-  At the beginning of the advert is a couple speaking about what they want to order, again, in a home setting. Here, there is simply dialogue and no background noise, however, when the man starts singing, we start to hear diegetic sound effects of fire and brick breakage as the advert opens up an over exggerted and make-believe world where the man performs his song. The advert ends with a non-diegetic voice over telling the viewer to download the app as a just eat logo as on sreen text appears followed with a clicking sound effect.
-  Since Just Eat have to produce a memorable advert that sells and promotes their service in just 30 seconds, the editing is really consise and quick, making the advert slick and keeping the audience engaged.


- The advert mainly consists of mid and mid-long shots which are every so often intersperced with a close up and wide shot. The majority of the shots being mid and mid-long, keep the audience eniced and intruiged with the advert, making it exciting.


When looking at these adverts, I realised I wanted to make my advert memorable and visually striking for the viewer hence the slight comedy I have added in my adverts such as the Your Food card logo hitting the actors in the face. The ManBand advert was the most memorable for me due to the genre hybridity used, this is something I used for my skating advert, since the beginning section is a slick montage. However, looking at food-delivery adverts made me realise that there are no companies in the take-away industry with a USP of food delivery at any time of the day and any where, e.g if you wanted to order food at four in the morning, there isn't a service which shows they can overcome this issue therefore, this is something I really wanted to communicate in my advert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment