My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click image to view my website

Monday, September 16, 2019

Post 5: My target audience

I investigated the "fun-loving" 16-25 mass market target audience and their relationship with music, pop music in particular. This would help me understand what music means to them and the influence it has on them. This would help me to find out their needs as consumers and what appeals to them as a target audience.

UK TRIBES:

I started looking at UK Tribes, a research campaign made by Channel 4 to gain an insight to the separate sub-sections of the 16-25 age demographic. They split the demographic into five sections:




After reading each one, I feel my demographic will fit the most into the 'Mainstream' and the 'Aspirant' sub-sections.


Mainstream
"The Mainstream forms the backbone of tribal society – where most young people start out and some never leave. The key is in sticking with what you know – chart music, prime time TV and local nights out"
"They look for commercial entertainment channels for influence, Mainstream Tribes prefer to stick with what’s safe rather than rock the boat. There’s little desire to hunt down underground fashion and music – they are more than happy with readily available ‘high street’ influences. Think Capital FM and Radio One, Miss Selfridge and Burton, Heat magazine, FHM and Nuts."
The sub-sections of the 'Mainstream' category:

- Through researching the 'Mainstream' category, I feel that people from my target demographic will mostly be from this category. Everything they have been stated to do; listening to chart music; Capital FM; prime time TV; commercial entertainment etc, all heavily fits in with the Pop genre. 
- This has influenced me to make sure my video, website and overall brand are easily accessible to all, bold and exciting but not too edgy and can fit in with fun-loving pop culture.
Aspirant:
"Living for the moment, Aspirant Tribes know the look, music and lifestyle they want – and will spend big in order to get it! Social butterflies, they are spending summer holidays hitting festivals and concerts."
"Whether it’s the latest pop-up, food truck, concept store, art gallery or nightclub, they want to be the one to have seen it first – and post it on social media. Experience seeking drives the Aspirant segment, and introducing the newest fashion and music to their friendship group motivates Tribe members."
"Aspirant Tribes are big consumers with strong brand affiliations. Brands trying to crack the Aspirants need to prove their cool credentials. Those who appeal to them are rewarded with strong brand loyalty."
The subsections of the "Aspirant" category:

- Although I don't think all aspirants will relate and enjoy my brand as much as the 'Mainstream' do, I feel that a few members of the category will enjoy my star persona's content. The fact that they use a lot of social media, want to be the first to hear about things such as the latest fashion and music are all elements that also apply to pop culture and latest trends. 

- Through researching the 'Aspirant' sub-section, it has given me insight into the importance of branding, social media presence and fresh, engaging content for my star persona's brand. 

SURVEY:
I put together a survey, researching my target demographic's relationship with music, pop music in particular: 

How often do you listen to music?

85% of people in my survey listen to music everyday which conveys the importance of music in the 16-25 age demographic.

I asked people how much time of their day they spent listening to music: 




This result was the one that surprised me the most. With approximately 18% of 16-25 year olds listening to music all day and around 9% spending 6-7 hours of their day listening to music, I am fully aware of the strong relationship between music and my target demographic. This had made me realise I really need to produce something substantial which engages with my target audience due to their strong relationship with it. 

This then lead me to ask why they listen to music, these are a few of the answers:

Many 16-25 year olds saying music is an 'escape' for them as it comforts them and helps them unwind. This further heightened my knowledge of the strong relationship my demographic.

I then asked whether they thought pop music had an influence on 16-25 year olds in today's society?

With 85% of people saying it does have an influence, it is evident that 16-25 year olds in today's society get inspired and influenced pop music. This has inspired me to make sure my video has a moral message which reflects my brand values of escapism, freedom and independence.  

I then asked which artists they think are the most popular and influential in the pop music scene:






The majority of people said Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish and Khalid were the most popular. This will inspire me to research them in the future to see what they do in regards to branding, content and social media presence. 


FUTURE INFLUENCES:

This research has given me valuable knowledge of my target audience and the reason for their consumption habits. I have understood the role and importance of music to my target demographic and they're strong relationship with it, giving me insight as to how I should promote my brand and identity so they're engaged. 

I have also gained valuable insight into the 'tribes' of my target audience which has again, allowed me to see what I can do in terms of branding and content in order to appeal to my target demographic. This will help my artist stand out due to my identity, music video and website.

No comments:

Post a Comment